Handprinted golden honey bee leather journal or notebook available with lined or blank pages.
Inspired by bees from antiquity and those encountered near our home this journal is intended as a companion no matter where life takes you. When designing and handcrafting these books we paid special attention to how the book felt as a whole. From the hand selected vegetable tanned leather, each piece has its own unique characteristics, to the earthy and natural base colors (honey/amber or brown), to the meticulously hand-painted golden highlights, and the custom made lotus stamp we wanted the owner of this journal to feel a connection to the book as it helped them capture their thoughts, recipes, drawings, lyrics and more!
• Item: Hand painted and carved honey bee with lotus stamp on the inside.
• Size: 6.5 x 9 x 1.5 Inches or 5 x 7 x 1.5 inches
• Leather: Vegetable Tanned
• Paper: white/blank 24lb paper
• Page Count: 240 writing / drawing surfaces
• Binding: Classic Medieval: can be re-bound when full
• Timeline to create: 5-7 business days. Please get in contact with us for rush orders (available on some items). If the item is in stock we can ship on short notice!
• Shipping: Shipping includes a tracking number, delivery confirmation and insurance up to $100.00. Each item comes with a care card and authentication card.
• Additional Info: On the inside cover there is a stamping (the same image on our cufflinks etc) of a lotus which was created with a custom stamp made in our studio. On the inside cover there is a stunning opening page.
• Lined pages are available under scroll down menu.
Notes from the studio:
Books have been used for centuries to chronicle every aspect of human life and knowledge but one of the most important things books have captured over time are the stories and spirit of those who poured themselves into the pages. Our books capture the romanticism of the classic journal or artists pad by employing a classic binding, high quality leather, and blank pages to beckon the imagination. Our collection dives deeper still into the owners life as each piece is created to be a stand-alone functional piece of artwork which can be filled with treasures from their minds, hearts and lives. As works of art they can be displayed prominently on a shelf or coffee table to create an eye-catching feature. Drawing from our love of travel and the classical era these books are intended to be taken into the moments that define people and used as the scribe to capture the events of the day or maybe of a life time. The acid free pages are ideal for writing, drawing, sketching, photographs, keepsakes, souvenirs, and more. Each book can have new pages added if the user wishes to keep using the jacket or would like to add their own preferred papers in.
How we make our pieces:
Each book in this series is meticulously hand carved, hand dyed, hand finished and hand bound. Each image carved onto these books is an original created from our inspirations, which include: fantasy, travelling to ancient ruins, history and mythology. Some of these books are also hand painted with special leather paints and overlays. The leather used is an ethically sourced tooling hide that softens in over time. All of the leather used for these books is vegetable tanned and is a byproduct of the food industry. The acid free card stock pages, are great for: writing, drawing, sketching, photographs, scrapbooking, calligraphy, pen, pencil, etc. The classic bind used on these books gives an elegant old-world finish and allows the user or local book-binding clubs to easily rebind the book with any type of paper. The dyes used are an environmentally friendly water based dye which leaves a rich hand-finished touch on each book bringing out the unique highlights, grains, and character of each piece of leather*. We use a variety of different, hand applied, finishes to both protect and emphasize the leathers natural beauty. Finishes may include, but are not limited to, any or all of the following depending on the piece: high quality oils, waxes, gums, and protective coats. Each book is hand buffed once the finishes have set to give it a resilient sheen.
* Note: all colours will pick up the natural highlights and lowlights found in the leather. While these variations add a beautiful texture and character to each piece it does not give a solid colour like industrially dyed, heavily chemical dyed, leathers. Also each piece of leather, like wood, is different and has its own characteristics. These are not considered flaws.